Monday 12 February 2018

Looking For More Year Ticks

For the first time since I started serious birding in 2009 I have decided to keep a '2018 Year List' this year. This has been spurred on by the fact that I've started using Bubo.org to maintain my lists, which was first recommended to me by Gareth Hughes a couple of years I go.  I had a quick look at it then but didn't persevere.  Now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread for keeping bird lists and indeed, I've also added my 'UK Life List' and 'Greater Manchester Life List' to Bubo.  Here's where I currently stand:



So today I was off in search of more '2018 year ticks' mainly in the form of a Kingfisher at the Wigan Flashes.  I also was hoping to get some close photos of a drake Goldeneye which has been giving very good views on the canal recently.


I started off at the Hawkley Hall Feeding Station which was only a short distance from where I parked my car.  Here I was expecting to see Willow Tits, Reed Buntings, Chaffinches, Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits and Robins, none of which disappointed.  What I wasn't expecting to see were male and female Bullfinches and even less so the normally very shy and elusive Water Rail, so that was a real bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.