Wednesday 24 May 2017

Grasshopper Warbler at Bickershaw

This morning I went on a short 'Warbler Walk' around the former colliery site in Bickershaw with member of the L.O.S. and led by founder member Dave Wilson.  Dave is very keen to spread the word that so-called 'brownfield sites' such as Bickershaw are not derelict deserts devoid of life. They have their own ecology and are often teeming with animal and plant life and so should be valued by planners and the public alike.

The highlight of the trip for me was finally seeing a Grasshopper Warbler clearly as it sang its distinctve reeling song, so-called because it sounds like a fisherman reeling in his line. I've heard these birds many times in the past, but I've never really seen one clearly until today.


I decided not to take my camera on the trip so that I could focus on enjoying the birding, but as soon as we'd found this bird I knew I'd made a mistake and would have to return!

So after a really nice three hours in which we also saw an Osprey, Sedge Warblers, countless Reed Buntings and many other birds, I went home to have lunch and then returned with my camera gear.



Although it wasn't quite in the same place, it was fairly easy to locate as it was still singing. I also managed to take some video of the bird with the main aim of recording its song.



It was great to see this elusive bird showing so well and I've finally banished it as bogey bird from my life list and got a decent photo to boot. Smiles all round :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.